Sunday Business Post,
Groups representing survivors of institutional child abuse are divided over whether the state should go ahead with a EUR500,000 memorial to honour victims.
Dublin city councillors last week backed a motion by independent councillor Mannix Flynn to halt the erection of the monument in the Garden of Remembrance on Parnell Square in Dublin.
Speaking during a special council debate last week, Flynn claimed that he had the backing of some wellknown abuse groups in calling on the government to halt plans for the monument until abuse claims by former residents of the Magdalene Laundries and the Protestant Bethany homes had been fully dealt with.
Flynn said Buckley "does not speak for a lot of people".
The councillor continued: "I respect her right to an opinion, but she's wrong. I don't want to get into a row with people who are opposed to this. This monument is wrong.
"It suggests there is closure when there is none. It is pseudo-participatory memorial mania".
Christine Buckley, founder of the Aislinn Centre and a former Goldenbrige industrial school resident, said that Flynn was "the last person I would take heed of in relation to the needs of survivors of institutional abuse".
She went on: "This is, in my estimation, a publicity stunt. This monument would be so welcome, and it is terribly important to those of us who were in an institution. This is an absolute disgrace."
Flynn was not available for comment. However, John Kelly, director of the Survivors of Clerical Child Abuse, said the group was also in favour of halting the project.
Kelly said there were "intensely different" views among survivor groups over whether the monument, which was proposed by the Ryan Commission and has received Dail approval, should proceed or not.
The monument will include the wording of the 1999 apology by the then taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, on behalf of the state for the suffering of those who were abused while in its care.
Its design was announced by the Office of Public Works (OPW) in July following a competition. The winners, Studio Negri and Hennessy & Associates, were chosen by a ten-strong jury which included abuse survivors Bernadette Fahy and Paddy Doyle.
Dublin city council manager John Tierney said that, irrespective of the wishes of councillors, the local authority's planning staff would have to proceed with the project if the OPW lodged a planning application for it.
"If a planning application comes into us, we have no choice but to deal with it," Tierney told the meeting.