The Shame of Ireland

The Shame of Ireland

I’m no Expert But here are a few thought on Blog writing, hopefully it will demystify the process and Encourage YOU to have a go?

You can Create a Blog from Anything!

An Email you received

A Newspaper article

A Recipe

Or Just your Thoughts

So the first thing is what is the purpose of the Blog and what information do you want to get across!

Decide on a Style? i.e. Are you telling a Story? Is It a list of Hint's and Tips? Like this Blog. Is it just Punchy Facts you are trying to get across.? Don't be afraid to experiment and mix styles!

Save your Blog Regularly! if your Computer or device has a problem you’ll kick yourself if you haven’t!

When to write a Blog?

Try to make sure that you have time to write undisturbed or at least you can go back to it.

Try to finish the blog and get it up on thee web as and finished in one session, as I have a number of unfinished blogs that I haven't gone back too!

Always use a Word editing Program, preferably one with a spell-checker built in (this will increase your confidence no end).

Don’t correct your spelling while you are typing as this will slow you down do it at the proof reading stage!

If you are using this site to write a blog there is an “Auto Recover Function BUT it isn't 100%  that it will work so as long as you have the Blog saved off-line you wont have lost your hard work!

Chances are you may decide to Blog out of Anger and Frustration?

So Here’s a tip!

Open you word Editing Program, and just start Typing; Let off some steam!

You may find that some of the “Rant” can be cut and pasted later? You may also find that after you’ve Ranted your thoughts a more collected and you cant use any of the Rant?

The Language that you use should be Simple; only use really long words when necessary and if its a Scientific term or you are using Initials explain them!

Verbosity (speech or writing which uses more words than needed) puts people of Reading!

When I write I try and imagine I’m explaining something to a friend in a conversation in a Pub; I try not to patronise, that is I wouldn’t want to lose some-ones attention or interest because they felt I was talking down to them.

Just A reminder!

Keyboard Rage isn’t a Blog; so try and be calm yet enthusiastic when you type!

The Content and keeping focused!

My mother used to say the first four lines of this poem when she was studying English Literature as a Mature Student 

"I Keep Six Honest 
Serving Men ..."

I keep six honest serving-men
(They taught me all I knew);
Their names are What and Why and When
And How and Where and Who.
I send them over land and sea,
I send them east and west;
But after they have worked for me,
I give them all a rest.

I let them rest from nine till five,
For I am busy then,
As well as breakfast, lunch, and tea,
For they are hungry men.
But different folk have different views; 
I know a person small-
She keeps ten million serving-men,
Who get no rest at all!

She sends'em abroad on her own affairs,
From the second she opens her eyes-
One million Hows, two million Wheres,
And seven million Whys!

Rudyard Kipling

So when you are writing these are the questions to ask and the order to ask them in!

What

Why

When

How

Where

Who

It may be a good idea to write them down so you can refer to them whilst you are writing?

All the question may not apply but it’s a useful tool to free writers block (for me anyway)!

Keep your blogs Short, as People lose interest and don’t want to read forever!

As you can see if I haven’t lost you interest already 695 words and 42 Paragraphs so far!

Why so many paragraphs?

I find a lot of white space means I can read it quicker!

If you can control the Font size try 16 point? And choose a fount that you think is more readable.

Remember that your blog may be read on a Tablet Mobile phone or PC.

Think that just about sums it up so here are a few tools to help you on Your Way!

You  Can Download the FREE version  of KingSoft Office for Windows <HERE>

When you first use it there's a T shirt shaped Icon 

Click it to change the the layout to Classic View this is probably what you are used to?

Don’t forget to change the dictionary to UK English or you'll be writing in American when you check the spelling!

You Can Download KingSoft Office Applications for Android Phones <HERE>

You Can Download the FREE version of KingSoft Office for Andriod Tablet <HERE>

Spell Checkers for your PC Bowser 

If you are using Firefox Browser on Your PC? Boost your confidence on Social Media and Blogging by using this FREE Spell Checker 

Boost your confidence on Social Media and Blogging by using this FREE Spell Checker for Internet Explorer  

In Opera

To enable or disable the spell checker, you can either: 

• Right-click a multi-line text entry field, and select or deselect "Check Spelling".
  • Go to Settings > Preferences > Advanced > Browsing and select or deselect "Check spelling".

AGAIN! Don’t Forget to Change the Language to UK English!

HAPPY BLOGGING!

Views: 170

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Rob for all information,hope Emily is feeling better.

Thanks Rob for all that information...Rosaleen

Brilliant..Only reading this now and adjusting accordingly...Thank you!

RSS

About

Rob Northall created this Ning Network.

Birthdays

CLICK TO FOLLOW SHAME OF IRELAND ON TWITTER

This is a Private Site

Membership is drawn from Survivors of the Irish Industrial School System their Family and Friends. Survivors of the Magdalene Laundries their Families and Friends are welcome too!

Others can follow on Twitter by Clicking the Button Bellow

Follow ShameOfIreland on Twitter

Follow on FACE BOOK by Clicking <HERE>

Please Like this FACE BOOK Page?

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Rob Northall.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service