The Shame of Ireland

The Shame of Ireland

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (World Health Organisation Tenth Revision of the International Classification of Diseases (ICD 10), F43.1)

The criteria laid out by ICD 10 are as follows:

It arises as a delayed or protracted response to a stressful event or situation of an exceptionally threatening or catastrophic nature, which is likely to cause pervasive distress in almost anyone.

The diagnosis is made when there is evidence that the symptoms arose within 6 months of the traumatic event, and a probable diagnosis can be made if the symptoms arose greater than 6 months after the event(s), so long as the manifestation is typical.

The presence of the following is required:

1.   A trauma of an exceptionally threatening or catastrophic nature, which is likely to cause pervasive distress in almost anyone.

2. Flashbacks (repeated reliving of the trauma in intrusive memories, daytime imagery or dreams).The following are often present but not essential for diagnosis

3.    A persistent sense of numbness.
4.    Detachment from others.
5.    Unresponsiveness to surroundings
6.    Anhedonia (loss of pleasure in life)
7.     Avoidance of activities or surroundings reminiscent of the trauma.
8.     Fear and avoidance of cues that trigger memories.
9.     Panic attacks or aggression following triggers.
10.   Autonomic arousal
11.   Hypervigilance
12.   Enhanced startle response
13.   Insomnia.
14.     Anxiety and depression are commonly associated features.
15.     Excessive use of drugs and alcohol.
16.     Changes in personality.

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It is very difficult to "Self Diagnose" but my wife was Diagosed by a Psychiatrist for the Redress Board Reading this Diagnosis helped me to understand my wifes situation a lot better; I hope that Members find this useful?
If you find yourself trapped on State Benefits a “Professional Diagnosis” might increase your entitlement?
In the U.K. Benefits awarded prior to Retirement Age, continue after Retirement; but cannot be applied for 1 Day after you reach that Age!
Ioften wonder why i have such a weak imunity system. many doctors have told me that its very hard to understand why even a cold becomes differcult to heal.It turns into something worse before .i have time to see a doctor. then it takes weeks to get over it. Does anyone else have this . it might be the lack of food during childhood.????????
It was a total lack of EVERYTHING during your childhood. >ALL OF US  WERE DENIED A CHILDHOOD

yes indeed denied a childhood. robbed of a childhood. stolen years. 

I was diagnoised as suffering from Post traumatic Stress disorder ,and undergoing treatment >FREE ,under the Mental Health,but the solicitor made an appointment for me to see some psychairist chosen by them I had never met before for ONE hour appointment  ,it seemed they used this persons diagnosis , I didn't see any other medical records being used on my behalf, What a Farce. all corupt. By the way this person was very strange and a bit mad looking to me .I was the sane one.
How many survivors suffered from Teeth Loss due to neglect in the Industrial schools ?????
please see my dental doctor hospital phobia post under "health". 
Ithink that most of us have suffered all our lives from the result of beatings . if anyone one can count the amount of times thay were beaten well' it might come to 800 or so chocks on the head and body. what that does to health  in the case of developing childrenis something that should be recerched.And the lack of vitamins to develop strong bones were inexictent. of course we worked hard to feed all these adults. and thay ate very well ' some in the convent and two to watch over us in case anyone spoke.
yes clattered around the head and the neck (very dangerous) and the face for talking or "answering back".
My doctor say's I'm just stressed; the medical solution in doing nothing.
To get a diagnosis you really need to see a Psychiatrist, Doctors are not sufficiently qualified?
I went to one. He was very interested as if to wether I heard voices in my head or not. He didn't seem to think I had a problem when I told him I didn't hear voices in my head.

RSS

About

Rob Northall created this Ning Network.

CLICK TO FOLLOW SHAME OF IRELAND ON TWITTER

This is a Private Site

Membership is drawn from Survivors of the Irish Industrial School System their Family and Friends. Survivors of the Magdalene Laundries their Families and Friends are welcome too!

Others can follow on Twitter by Clicking the Button Bellow

Follow ShameOfIreland on Twitter

Follow on FACE BOOK by Clicking <HERE>

Please Like this FACE BOOK Page?

Photos

• Add Photos

Badge

Loading…

© 2022   Created by Rob Northall.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service