The Shame of Ireland

The Shame of Ireland

High cost of redress scheme informed ‘minimalist’ offer from the State

The package is a fraction of the maximum award under the redress scheme

Louise O’Keeffe: ‘the worst possible Christmas present’

Joe Humphreys

Wed, Dec 17, 2014, 01:00

First published: Wed, Dec 17, 2014, 01:00

The compensation package announced by the state for people who were sexually abused in schools has been described by Louise O’Keeffe as “the worst possible Christmas present”, and indeed it is hard not to see it as miserly. The cap of €84,000 in an individual settlement is a fraction of the €300,000 maximum award under the redress scheme for institutional abuse.

That’s not where the differences end. Under the redress scheme, people could apply confidentially for compensation for historical abuse in a non-adversarial forum. What is being offered by the Government in this instance is to deal only with abuse survivors who have initiated legal action through the courts, and within that number to settle with those who meet certain criteria.

Specifically, payments will be made only to those where it is shown that the school authorities failed to act on a complaint of abuse, and where the abuse took place subsequent to such a complaint. This narrows the number of eligible cases significantly and may result in settlements in a small proportion of the 135 cases which were initially taken against the state.

Some 90 of these cases were withdrawn after the department of education issued a letter to them in the wake of Ms O’Keeffe’s failed High Court and Supreme Court hearings, saying that they would similarly face legal costs from unsuccessful actions.

The bill to the Exchequer from the redress scheme appeared to have weighed heavily on the Government’s decision.

While Minister for Education Jan O’Sullivan defended the size of the proposed settlements, she said “one of the things we did learn from the redress board is the state found it very difficult to ensure that others took their responsibilities. So in this case we’re being clear in relation to the State’s responsibility”.

In short, people are still free to sue other bodies, like school patrons, religious orders and the abusers themselves.

As of last July, religious congregations had paid less than a quarter of the €352.6 million which they had agreed to contribute to redress for victims of institutional abuse. The Government had been looking for a total of €725 million from the religious orders to cover 50 per cent of the expected cost of redress but it has no legal hold over them because of a 2002 indemnity deal.

Ms O’Keeffe and her solicitor Ernest Cantillon, who both met the Minister in advance of her announcement, have also criticised Ms O’Sullivan for failing to address perceived weaknesses in the current child protection system.

Recent figures, for example, show that 40 per cent of registered teachers have yet to be vetted by gardaí.

Cantillon further noted that the designated officer for child protection in schools was the principal “but what if the principal is an abuser?”

In their discussions with the Minister they had proposed the creation of “child-friendly” protection officers on a regional basis but this appeared to have been rejected on cost grounds.

The Minister said her department’s inspectorate would review child protection policies as part of new procedures for whole school evaluations but these take place in only a select group of schools each year.

Cantillon summed up the announcement as “minimalist . . . It gives the veneer of doing something, and it has left a very bad taste.”

 

Source - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/high-cost-of-redress-schem...

Views: 77

Comment by Barbie on February 5, 2015 at 15:25

The government has offered these survivors like ourselves an insulting amount of "Compensation" for the trauma they have endured for the best parts of their lives. The one difference between what has been offered to these survivors by the Irish Government is they were give leave to also pursuit their abusers in the courts for compensation, unlike us we were made under duress sign waivers that we would not or could not pursuit the religious. What a shame on the Irish Government to discriminate between one survivor and another Ms' Jan o' Sullivan Minister with responsibilities for Caranua announced this compensation measure before Christmas.

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Shame of Ireland to add comments!

Join The Shame of Ireland

About

Rob Northall created this Ning Network.

CLICK TO FOLLOW SHAME OF IRELAND ON TWITTER

This is a Private Site

Membership is drawn from Survivors of the Irish Industrial School System their Family and Friends. Survivors of the Magdalene Laundries their Families and Friends are welcome too!

Others can follow on Twitter by Clicking the Button Bellow

Follow ShameOfIreland on Twitter

 Follow on FACE BOOK by Clicking <HERE>

Please Like this FACE BOOK Page?

Photos

  • Add Photos
  • View All

Badge

Loading…

© 2019   Created by Rob Northall.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service