The Shame of Ireland

The Shame of Ireland

Caranua refused me but I have to try again.


I really need some help with my physical health. I know you stated I couldn't have money because it was my mother in an institution but my health is in decline and I could become fatally ill through this.
My teeth rotted at the age of 21 due to an eating disorder. Throughout my life I have suffered a mountain of problems including, anorexia, post traumatic stress disorder, borderline personality disorder, suicide ideation, self harm and high anxiety whereby if I have an anxiety/panic attack, I lose touch with reality.
My top front 8 teeth have now rotted to the point whereby I cannot eat because I have no back teeth. I broke a tooth the other day on a chocolate bar.  
I'm trying all avenues in order to try and get some dental treatment which is going to cost me around £10,000 or less because if I am unable to eat, I'll simply die. 
I take daily tablets, (Buccastem) to try and prevent actual vomiting and have suffered three internal bleeds because of anorexia.The hospital say that if I don't change things I will die.  I take a vitamin B Compound daily, other vitamin B tablets four times a day and have a vitamin B12 injection every 12 weeks.
My mental health issues are because of the way the institutions treated my mother. I am not entitled to free treatment but at the same time, I can't afford any of the treatment.
I'm only 49 years old and I'm asking you to reconsider allowing me to have funding for my teeth. I am married with 3 children all in their late teens and early 20's. My children are worried about losing their mum and my husband thinks he will lose his wife too.
I am desperate to begin rebuilding my life but not with rotten front teeth.

Kind Regards,
Elizabeth Dormer. 

Views: 389

Comment by Elizabeth Nicholas on July 14, 2015 at 12:43

Elizabeth keep talking to these people I always thought your teeth was part of your health so without a doubt you should be getting help, you sound like you are in a really bad way with your health so dont give up keep going at these people

Comment by Elizabeth Dormer on July 14, 2015 at 18:24

Hi Elizabeth, I've seen my doctor twice who says she can't do anything but she want's the mental health team to come out and see me again because my anorexia has taken a step backwards.

Been to the dentist today and he won't touch my teeth. He sent me to hospital for an indepth x-ray and I have to go back to the dentist tomorrow. My dentist thinks I may have a serious infection right through to the bone and if that is the case, I shall lose all of my teeth. I feel as though I have gone through enough in life without this too. It's going to be sooooo expensive. I'll have to make choices between eating or paying the dentist.

If I keep going on at Caranua then they refuse to reply. We people....we just can't win. x x

Comment by Elizabeth Dormer on July 14, 2015 at 18:32

Today I had a reply from it is. Why on earth would I need counselling for this?? My teeth are real, I can't afford to pay for them and they are falling out!!! Will a counsellor put this right? I think not!!!!

Rant over.......swizzing bastards, they just don't care while they enjoy our money.

Dear Elizabeth,


Thank you for your email and for reaching out to us.


It is not up to the staff and Board of Caranua who is eligible for support from Caranua. There is a Law we come under which sets out who Caranua can work with. Unless the Government change this Law; the Residential Institutions Statutory Fund Act 2012 Caranua’s hands are tied in terms of who we can work with.


I can see from what you have said that you are dealing with a number issues. I do not know if you are currently in touch with any mental health practitioner and while Caranua cannot provide you with support in this there are two services that I know of which may be able to do so. They are Towards Healing  who provide some counselling for family member of Survivors of Residential Institutions, and the other is called ICAP who provide both counselling psychotherapy



I note from your email that you feel you could become fatally ill, Elizabeth, if you are feeling this unwell I would encourage you to attend your local A& E or GP to seek treatment.


Kind regards,

Julie Anne


Julie Anne Dunne

Administrative Assistant


P.O. Box 12477

Dublin 1


T  Freephone ROI:     1800 212 477

    Freephone UK:       0808 234 1303

All other places :     +353 1 8742277 (not a freephone number from outside Ireland and   the UK)

Comment by bernadette millam on July 15, 2015 at 19:56

This might help you fingers crossed

Patrick Whelan

The Caranua Appeals Officer Appeals Administration Unit c/o Department of Education and Skills Cornamaddy Athlone Co Westmeath.

Comment by Elizabeth Dormer on July 16, 2015 at 10:38

Hello Bernadette,

Thank you kindly for this, I have had a good read through and what a bunch of hypocrites.

Firstly they tell me that I can't access Caranua at all because I wasn't resident in an institution.

The Caranua Appeals Annual Report 2014 states clearly that the two subjects that can appeal are.....

1.A decision on an applicationmade by eligible former residents for assistance or....

2. A decision that a person is not a former resident eligible to apply under the scheme.

As I seem to come under number two, firstly I'm going to appeal but most of all why do Caranua say no to relatives of the fund and then the report contradicts that and allows for appeals? 

I don't know if I've read it wrong but by the sounds of it I can appeal.

Thank you very much for sending me this documentation, I shall give it another go.

Lizzie x x

Comment by jack colleton on June 23, 2016 at 12:10

I Understand That In America Missing Teeth /  Dentures Etc  Is Officially Classified As A Disability .... I Imagine Because Of The Effects On Individuals Such As Danger To Health On Account Inability To Chew Food In The Way It Should Be Chewed Causing All Sorts Of Problems Including  Tummy Pain, Choking And Death. There Is Of Course Also The Social Consequence And Knocked Confidence.

Comment by jack colleton on June 23, 2016 at 12:16

Elizabeth:  -

My Understanding Is Anybody Who Gets An Award From The Redress Board Is Entitled To Apply To Caranua.  I Think You Said The Award Was For Your Mother. Who Can Spend That Award (money)?

Comment by Elizabeth Dormer on June 23, 2016 at 15:37

The award for my mother Jack was passed directly to me, I used it for paying debts as we were seriously in financial trouble. It came just in time.

As my life was turmoil from the onset, I have suffered mental health problems since about the age of 15. My husband has kept everything going, the house and three kids as well as going to work. 

I wasn't able to work, everytime I got a job I lost confidence and left so my husband could never rely on me bringing in money.

The cheque that redress made was in my name on behalf of my mother. I feel a serious sense of being screwed over by those bastards x

Comment by jack colleton on June 23, 2016 at 15:53

Then You Are Entitled To Caranua Help!  Caranua Should Have Had Your Details From The Redress Board Before You Had even Applied!

Comment by jack colleton on June 23, 2016 at 15:55

Could You Ask Caranua If It / They Already Had Your Details From The Redress Board Before You Applied For Help?

Add a Comment

You need to be a member of The Shame of Ireland to add comments!

Join The Shame of Ireland


Rob Northall created this Ning Network.



This is a Private Site

Membership is drawn from Survivors of the Irish Industrial School System their Family and Friends. Survivors of the Magdalene Laundries their Families and Friends are welcome too!

Others can follow on Twitter by Clicking the Button Bellow

Follow ShameOfIreland on Twitter

 Follow on FACE BOOK by Clicking <HERE>

Please Like this FACE BOOK Page?


  • Add Photos
  • View All



© 2023   Created by Rob Northall.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service